In her article, “Teacher’s Weigh In: What We Want for Christmas,” Sarah Lorge Butler of CBS moneywatch.com makes it very clear what teachers want for Christmas. She enlisted a few teachers to share with her what they do and do
not want. One teacher responded to this prompt saying, “As a teacher, I would like to suggest gift cards to Starbucks, Target, or some other store that is popular. Teachers get so many mugs, knick-knacks, and boxes of stationery. We would really appreciate a little treat to brighten our day rather than a mug to add to the dozens in our cupboards!” (Interestingly enough, some of the best mugs in our cabinet are the teacher ones.)
Another teacher commented, “Teachers do not need gifts from students. A note of appreciation, or a picture drawn by young students, goes a long way. Save your money, take your kids to a museum or the zoo, have some fun with your family!” (Could this teacher actually be saying, “Take your kids to a museum and see how it feels to spend the WHOLE day with them”?- Let’s hope not.)
Enough with the DON’Ts. What did teachers say they really DO want? No more suspense. Here’s the list as Ms. Butler laid it out:
- “Handwritten notes of appreciation for their hard work, from students, parents or both. Young ones can draw pictures.
- ‘Most teachers do not expect gifts. Times are tough,’ wrote one reader. ‘If you insist on a gift, however, donate the money to some worthwhile charity in the teacher’s name.’
- Gift cards to stores like Target, Walmart or teacher supply stores. With budgets tight, teachers end up paying for many classroom supplies out of their own pockets.
- Gift cards to restaurants or places like Starbucks, Panera, or Barnes & Noble so teachers can treat themselves.
- Cash is king, claims one parent, who wrote that she folds bills into origami animals to give to the teachers. ‘They love it,’ she wrote. ‘No hassle with 25 years of picture frames.’ “
Do you agree? What have been some of the best teacher gifts you have received or given? Tell us all in a comment! Maybe we’ll really make some teachers’ days this year!